Our Ocean Athletes programme is for all 10-13 year olds (as of 1st October) looking to extend the skills developed in our Junior Surf programme and to compete at Oceans 2022 which will be held at Mount Maunganui.
During Ocean Athletes, participants will learn and develop a variety of skills. These will include:
- Craft – Board Paddling – safely moving in and out of the surf, using rips and currents, race tactics
- Surf Swimming – safely moving in and out of the surf, using rips and currents, race tactics
- Rescue Events – skill development to perform a rescue race scenario for a tube and board rescue
- Beach Events – sprinting, beach flags and distance running
- Team Events – tube and board rescue and relays
Whilst developing the above skills, our experienced coaches use a framework where participants become familiar with “living” our club values – fun, respect, commitment, encouragement and excellence. This helps them to prepare for lifeguarding and senior surf sports pathways available to them when they turn 14.
Ocean Athletes also offers participants an opportunity to compete in junior surf sport events throughout summer, joining other junior athletes from around the country to share their passion for surf sports. The confidence and teamwork gained in these exciting competitions provides a valuable life experience for Ocean Athlete squad members.
Children wanting to participate in this programme may be required to trial to ensure this is the right programme for them.
4th October - 17th October 2021 (Term 3 holidays)
|Water||10am - 11am||10am - 11am||10am - 11am|
18th October - 24th December 2021 (Term 4)
26th December 2021 - 9th January 2022 (School Holidays)
|Water||10am - 12pm||10am - 12pm||10am - 12pm||10am - 12pm||10am - 12pm||10:00-12:00pm|
31st January - 27th February 2022 (Term 1)
Please note that the tables above are generalised for simplicity and may change. These changes will be communicated to members of the programme via the Ocean Athletes group Facebook page.
Cost: $180 (inclusive of all four blocks)
Additional Costs: (indicative only)
- Gear Allocation = $75-$200 per item of gear for the season
- Camp = $75-$150
- Oceans Competition at the Mount 24-27th February 2022 = $115 Entry Fee
Must be a current member of Papamoa SLSC
Completed registration for this programme (inc H&S / T&C)
Requirements for water based activities
200m safety badge
200m swim in the ocean (we run this in the first two weeks of the programme)